- Strength in Numbers. Your tribe. How wonderful is it to meet people who care about the direction and shape of the community just like you. Find people in your apartment complex or at your next HOA meeting. Chances are good things will come for all with like-minded people in the same room…think neighborhood garage sale, fundraiser or alley clean-up project! Like the quote says, “If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.”
- Awareness. Knowing who is who, and what is where is important in knowing your surroundings. Having awareness is key to knowing what changes are happening in your surroundings and what is acceptable vs. unacceptable.
- Friendships. What better way to find new and fun friends than the people that are living within minutes of you. As the saying goes, friends are the family you choose.
- Learn Something. Although one may or may not want to share his/her secret juggling talents, sharing skills such as a handy man skill or even gardening skills can help others in the community. Get to know someone in your community and the chances are you can help EACH OTHER learn a new skill or two. What do you have to lose?
- Safety. Information is power…when you are in-the-know, many adverse situations can be avoided. Meet a new neighbor or two and share what you know!
- Problem Solving. Your involvement can help problem solve. For example, sharing or posting on Nextdoor or on other Social Media channels to create awareness of local traffic/speed issues, children safety, recent burglaries, etc. Your involvement will bring attention to any issues that need resolution that may require greater involvement from the City or Government.
Fun. Are you a foodie? Love to taste new wines? Board game aficionado? The odds are some people in your community are just like you! Blow off some steam, de-stress and have some fun with those closest to you. Stepping out of your house and meeting others is a great way to be social and make new friends. Learning from others is what community is all about!