Many people are familiar with Sand in the City® Arvada and the amazing sculptures, world-class entertainment, massive kids’ zone and unique vendors. What people may not be aware of is the process of creating the sculptures! These impressive creations are a labor of love for local businesses, organizations and community groups. The process offers the teams an amazing bonding opportunity, creative outlet and great exercise. Check out what our teams go through to get to the final product.
1. A business or organization takes the plunge and signs-up for a team in Sand in the City.
2. They attend Sand 101 and learn the basics of sand sculpting including the tricks of the trade. Yes, they get to play in the sand!
3. The team captain (and friends) work to scheme a theme. Many people choose to embrace the concepts of their business or organization. Great promotion!
4. They are paired up with a local architect who will help them turn their vision in to a reality. They create amazing drawings with dimensions, images, etc.
5. They work to recruit 15-20 people that can work together to bring their vision to reality.
6. They build massive forms that are packed with sand on build day and then removed so teams can carve.
7. They attend a 4-hour Sand in the City ® practice session where they pack a form and sculpt a partial version of their sculpture. Practice makes perfect.
8. And then they build 15 x 15 foot sculptures! On build day they are paired up with an expert coach who helps them make sure they are executing their design perfectly. The result is AMAZING.
Interested in seeing the final product? Join the Arvada Chamber of Commerce at Sand in the City®, Colorado’s premier beach party, and experience 10 massive sand sculptures. The two-day festival is taking place June 24-25, 2017 at Ralston Park in Arvada and offers fun for the entire family, including live entertainment, 80+ food and artisan vendors, craft beer and a Kids’ Zone where kids can dig for buried treasure in a giant sandbox! Adults are $5 each and children 12 and under are FREE! A portion of all event proceeds will benefit the Hope House of Colorado. For more information and complete festival details, click here!